Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Historic Event

Strike Up the Band?
This is the 100th post on this blog. Where's the marching band? The parade? The trophy? Oh well, maybe they are waiting until I walk out of work today to fire up. Before I start yammering about running, I'd like to thank anyone who has ever read the blog over the past year. I hope you continue to read and share the blog with your friends and family members. The original intent was and still is to raise awareness of SMA. I am lucky enough to have a forum where 50 or more people come every week and read about my running and nonsensical stories.

Which, by the way, I will try to make sure I sprinkle in as they occur. It's only a matter of time before someone else says I "have a belly" on me, "don't look like a runner," or shares explicit details of the time they ran their 10K marathon. For the record, I weighed in at 175.5 pounds on June 1st. Seeing as how almost every week is a new life-time high for me in terms of miles, I anticipate dropping down down around 165 pound by late September. I think I ended up in the low 170s after training last year, after weighing 185 (maybe 190) at the start.

So again, thanks for reading and I hope you come by to visit once or twice a week and enjoy the remaining 16 weeks of the beast that is marathon training. I am hoping to have some FSMA fundraising details very soon.

The Week That Was
I ended up running 55.1 miles last week. Here's how it looked:
M- 5.33 @ 9:31 pace, 121 AHR
T- 8.05 @ 8:10 pace, 151 AHR
W- 12.16 @ 8:02 pace, 153 AHR
R- 5.25 @ 9:14 pace, 127 AHR
F- 8.25 @ 8:24 pace, 152 AHR
Sa- Rest
Su-16.01 @ 7:58 overall pace, 162 AHR ; I mixed in 8 miles at Goal Marathon Pace (7:15).
Here are their splits:
Miles 5.1 to 8.1 = 7:13, 7:10, 7:21
Miles 9.4 to 12.4 = 7:18, 7:25, 7:25
Miles 14-16 = 7:13, 7:20

I backed it down in the second set because my HR was getting too high. It was pretty humid and my body is definitely still adjusting to the warmer temps. Overall I was pretty pleased seeing as how this was only the second week of an 18 week training program.

The Week That Is
Here's the schedule:
Monday- 5 Recovery (DONE)
Tuesday - 11 MLR (DONE)
Wednesday - 13 MLR
Thursday - Rest or 5 Recovery*
Friday - 9Mi w/ 4 @ 6:53ish
Saturday - Rest or 5 Recovery*
Sunday - 15 MLR
*I'll take either Thursday or Saturday off.
58 total

2 comments:

Ash said...

Paul,
I just found your blog as I've been looking for other people running the 2009 CM to "follow" and give myself some added motivation.

I'm registered for the 2009 and it'll be my first marathon. Actually in two weeks running 9 miles will be my farthest distance ever. I've pretty much been 10k mileage.

It's a completely different experience so far training for this (in the summer? who's idea was that), but I'm looking forward to the process.

Anyways, keep up the training and I'm looking forward to following along.

screaminzab said...

Thanks for stopping by, Ash. Please feel free to come by all summer long.

You'll love the Chicago Marathon - as much as you can love any marathon anyway. This will be my 5th Chicago and it always has amazing crowd support.

Best of luck to you in training. Make sure you are drinking plenty of fluids and listening to your body as you start to add on the miles.

If you have any questions about marathon training or Chicago itself, feel free to ask me. I'd be more than happy to help.