Monday, June 30, 2008

Book It

Well, Week 1 is in the books and we're 1/16th of the way there. I have been really lucky with the weather so far. Yesterday morning was no exception. It was right around 70, which I will take everyday and twice on Sunday in June, July and August in Chicago. It's not uncommon to have to sweat through 80 and 90 degree days during training. And if you get really unlucky, you may even have to run a marathon in 90-plus degree weather. I'll get more into that story down the road.

So the 12 miler yesterday went okay. I came in at about an 8:45 pace, which was about 10 seconds slower than I would have liked. It not a huge deal at this point, as building mileage is the biggest part of these early long runs according to most.

One of the more interesting things on these longer runs is the people that you see. It's not uncommon to see people of all shapes, sizes, colors doing anything from walking their dog to practicing karate moves along the lakefront. My favorite thing is actually seeing some classic sports jerseys. I think that will become a regular feature every so often here. Here are the three somewhat vintage items I came across yesterday:




(The Sosa jersey wasn't signed)
And most impressively, this: (And I swear it was in really good condition)



Where a guy gets an adjustable Expos hat in Chicago at this point is beyond me. But awesome nonetheless.

No comments: