Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Nine Runs Remaining

Sorry there haven' t been any posts for the last few days. I have been busy sifting through these suggested songs for the marathon. Actually that's not true. yasoo800 just made the first two requests. Come on loyal readers, I need some music.

yasso800, you'll be happy to know that "A Little Bit of Faith" was on the last 20 mile run playlist. I am trying to figure out a way to post some songs on here. Pictures and videos are not a problem, but I am having a hard time with songs. Hopefully I can figure it out soon so the musical stylings of William Gillis and Shouting and Pointing can be shared with the world.

So, I got in an 8 miler yesterday. I ran the first half at an 8:00 pace and the second half at 7:47. I only went 9 miles today instead of ten because my knee is giving me some issues. I turned around at 4.5 miles because I hit a stoplight. It has really been bothering me when I stop in the midst of a run to grab some water or get stopped by a stoplight. So instead of waiting at the stoplight at McCormick and Howard (which is a long one), I turned around. I ran the 9 miles pretty evenly - 8:01 in the front half and an 8:03 in the second half.

I did run into my buddy Bill again, so I slowed down for about a third of a mile on the way home. I most likely would have come in under 8 in the second half if I didn't run with bill for those couple minutes. Bill did offer me some advice about my troublesome knee and running in general. Bill has to be in his fifties and could be in his sixties. Here was his advice: "The trick is not to think about it. The less you think about it, the less you'll notice it. And the less you think about all the miles you are running, the better off you are. "
***
After reading some more about the pain I'm having in my knee, I think it's actually inflammation in the hamstring tendons where they insert into the knee. My pain is in the back of the knee and as far as I can tell, there's no swelling. So, I think I am going to try to get into a doctor sometime in the next week to see if there's something I can do to help calm this thing down a bit before the marathon.
***
The title of the post is correct. Two more runs this week, four next week and three the week of the marathon. The longest run left will be this weekend at 12 miles. Over the next few weeks as there will be less running to talk about, I'll try to recap the previous six marathons and give people an idea of what to expect with this one.

Talk to you soon.

No comments: